Thursday 8 September 2011

#037 Toy Story 3

I've decided to give up on the idea of watching all these movies in order. Its just not realistic because I'm borrowing a lot from friends that don't have them all and I'm wanting to watch all the multi-part movies in order.

And also I'm apparently inadvertently watching films that I didn't even realise were on the list, such as this one.

Just a quick note - I'm not going to put big signs up that say "spoilers!" every time I talk about the plot of a movie, mainly because I'm assuming that most people have already seen these movies and also because I assume most people don't really care. But if you do, please check whether or not you've seent he movie before reading the review.

So I've loved the toy story franchise since I was very young. (wow...the first one came out when I was 3!) And the original's a classic, the sort of film that gets played every christmas. But lets not talk about that film just now, since its on the list too.

The spacing between the films has been rather large which to me is very peculiar because its not the same generation of people that are enjoying each movie. The first one came out in 1995, the second in 1999 and the third in 2010! Actually now that I think about it, it makes sense that Andy would be going to college, since we've essentially been literally following him through time. Heck, he's around the same age as me!

Also, throughout each one I haven't actually noticed any improvement in the CGI but perhaps if I re-watch the old ones I'll be able to see it getting better. I guess the fact that this one was released in 3D is definitely a difference. I didn't watch it in 3D though, in case you're wondering.

How do we feel about 3D by the way? Does it add depth or is it just an annoying gimmick that gives you a headache? I reckon the idea is cool and will work someday, but the technology isn't quite advanced enough at this precise moment. The animated 3D films definitely look better than the live action 3D films, so I think I would've enjoyed watching this film in 3D, albeit mildly headache-inducing.

So the film...I think the premise that starts out the movie is pretty depressing to be honest. Andy is all grown up and isn't playing with his toys anymore. The toys set up a little scheme in order to trick Andy into playing with them, but it never happens. The toys must now meet their fate, either in the attic, donated to the day care centre or in the rubbish.

So what makes this movie the best of the series you ask? I think what people enjoy about it is the emotional rollercoaster. There are funny bits, sad bits and happy bits throughout (although these are less so when the person you're watching it with is totally unmoved - you know who you are!) There aren't many movies that would make me cry...and this one isn't included, but its close. Those toys were willing to accept death! That's some powerful stuff there.

Yeah, its cheesy but its a friggin' kids film! Come on! Give in to the child within! I loved this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment