Monday 21 May 2012

#034 Avengers Assemble

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I'm aware nothing quite like this movie has been done before. A superhero team movie where all the characters involved have their own story. It's about a team of superhero's that aren't necessarily known for being in a team and have previously had their own movies. There hasn't been a Justice League Movie; the Fantastic Four are not heroes in their own right and while Wolverine has had his own movie, he is still very much part of the X-men franchise. So This movie is essentially making history.

But there's a reason why this sort of thing isn't attempted often. For one thing, between the vast number of famous actors and an enormous amount of special effects the budget for this movie is completely insane. The studio certainly did it the right way. They introduced the notion of the Avengers four years ago, at the end of the first Iron Man movie. They implanted it into our brains, getting us excited about it very early. They then released four more films all in preparation for the Avengers movie, building up an audience and making sure someone who has never heard of the Avengers before will know in detail who all the characters are. Each movie in turn made them a lot of money and they knew that with such a massive build up they could afford the ridiculously expensive budget.

Well it certainly worked; at the moment this film is #034 in the IMDB top 250, although I'm sure the fan-boys will calm down after a while. These new movies hardly ever stay so high.

In short, it was awesome. I've always loved these big collaborations; the idea of a group of superheroes coming together has always appealed to me. With the tone of each lead-up movie being quite different I'm impressed that it worked so well and all the characters remained pretty much how they are supposed to be.

I'm sure the storyline was purposely set up so that we got to see fights between as many of the superheroes as possible. This of course satisfies everybody's inner child in a kind of "who would win n a fight between x and y?" kind of way.

And to top it off, Joss Whedon directed it. Joss-frickin'-Whedon! There could be no one more perfect to do this project. Whoever asked him to do it is a genius. Joss Whedon is a genius. This movie rocks!

It's quite funny too. Really funny. My favourite moments include The Hulk repeatedly smashing Loki; Thor's brilliant line: "You humans are so petty...and tiny..." and Tony Stark, when talking to Bruce Banner about his work, saying "And I'm a huge fan of the way you...lose control and turn into a huge green rage monster". There was another funny moment I remember Tony Stark had but unfortunately I'm going to have to watch it again because I can't remember what it was.

Also, that poor Hulk, right? In less than a decade he's had three actors play him in three different movies. Pretty random and I'm just not sure why. I'm not one to complain about that sort of thing but it seems to me like Edward Norton would have played the role just fine. Oh well.

All in all, awesome. Go watch it. Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment